Monday, November 6, 2023

Bowling Green 70 Chicago State 41

Men's Basketball
Home Team: BGSU Falcons
Visiting Team: Chicago State Cougars
Venue: Stroh Center (Bowling Green, Ohio)
Game Time: 7 p.m.
Fellow Attendees: None

Game Story | Box Score


It was something of a happy accident that I was able to attend this game. I knew I was due for an overnight Toledo trip for work at some point this week, and as I was starting to make arrangements, I saw this game on the calendar. Basketball season already? I thought. Hm. Home opener? First game under a new coach? I'm...going to make this happen.

Which really wasn't much of an undertaking. I've been in this job and working remotely for a long time, and I'm trusted to make my own schedule. Of course, my department does have a team-building outing scheduled for Wednesday, so I'm sure setting my trip for Tuesday-Wednesday or Wednesday-Thursday would have been the politic move. But Monday-Tuesday made more sense for actual work objectives, and with the ability to attend this game thrown in, it wasn't a tough choice.

I really liked what I saw from the Falcons tonight. I'm not sure how much more I have to say about this game, really. There's so much roster turnover from one season to the next in college basketball nowadays, and then you throw a new coach into the mix, and there were only two Falcon players I was familiar with still on the roster. Now, I did think those two players (Rashaun Agee and Sam Towns) were pretty good for BG last year, so I'm glad they stuck around. But I was definitely looking at the roster a lot tonight and trying to put names with faces and numbers.

I think it was pretty obvious that these guys were still getting used to playing together and trying to figure out their roles. I'm sure that was exacerbated by presumed starting point guard Trey Thomas, a Vanderbilt transfer, being out with an injury. But you know what? Everybody looked competent, and like they belonged. At least until the bench was emptied toward the end of the game, I wasn't looking at anyone and wondering what they were doing on the floor, to say nothing of the roster. That in itself is an improvement over some of BG's previous coaches. The new guy, Coach Todd Simon, wants to play a fast-paced style and score a lot of points. There were some flashes of that tonight; it's pretty clearly a work in progress.

No comments: